Canadian FlagPhone: 613-584-2000 - Fax: 613-584-3237 -
The Town of Deep RiverProud Home of AECL


The Administration department provides many services including marriage and lottery licensing and Commissioner of Oaths.

What is a Commissioner of Oaths?

  • A Commissioner of Oaths is a person authorized to take your oath or solemn affirmation when you sign an affidavit or a statutory declaration.
  • A Commissioner does not certify that the statements being made in the affidavit or statutory declaration are true, but only certifies that an oath or solemn affirmation has been administered properly.
  • CERTIFIED COPIES: A Commissioner of Oaths and Affidavits are only empowered to administer oaths and take Affidavits and Declarations. You will require a Notary Public to certify true copies of documents.

What is the duty of the Commissioner of Oaths?

  • Every oath and declaration shall be taken by the deponent in the presence of the commissioner, notary public, justice of the peace or other officer or person administering the oath or declaration who shall satisfy himself or herself of the genuineness of the signature of the deponent or declarant and shall administer the oath or declaration in the manner required by law before signing the jurat or declaration. (Commissioner of Oaths Act R.S.O. 1990, c. C. 17, s.9)
  • There is no fee for this service.

Is there a difference between a Commissioner of Oaths and a Notary Public?

  • Yes - a Notary Public has broader authority than a Commissioner of Oaths. A Commissioner is not able to complete passport documentation or certify documents as true. We are not able to offer notary public services at this time.

If you require commissioning services, please call Jackie Mellon, Deputy Clerk, at (613) 584-2000 Ext. 128 to make an appointment.

Ric McGee
613 584-2000 Ext. 126

Jackie Mellon
Deputy Clerk
613 584-2000 Ext. 128

Bethany McMahon
Administrative Assistant
584-2000 ext. 124

Simon Tomlinson 
Initiatives Management Analyst 
613 584-2000 Ext. 105