To obtain a Building Permit please follow the process listed below
- Use the online Building Permit Application by using the link below:
Building Permit Application
- Return the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For any questions contact Robert Labre 613-584-2000 ext. 106
- You will receive a response by either phone or e-mail from the Building Inspector following receipt of your application
Projects that require a building permit
- Construction of a new building
- Addition of dormer(s)
- Installation of central air conditioning
- Installing a ramp or elevating device
- Addition of a carport, garage, porch or room(s) to an existing building
- Any structural work, including alterations to interior partitions or the installation of new skylights, windows or doors
- Constructing or installing detached accessory buildings such as garage, shed or playhouse larger than 100 square feet (or 10 square meters)
- Installation or re-installation of insulation, air/vapor barrier and/or drywall
- Installation of siding, brick or other exterior wall coverings
- Replacing or installing plumbing, including repair or installation of an on-site sewage system
- Enclosing a porch or deck
- Addition of a deck to an existing home
- Repairs or renovations
- Re-shingling a roof
- Raising or excavating under a house to provide a basement or foundation
- Damp proofing or waterproofing foundation walls, including installation of weeping tile
- Installation of a fireplace or other heating appliances including the replacement of furnaces, ductwork and chimneys
- Replacement of exterior doors or windows
- Construction or finishing of rooms in a basement or attic
- Change of use to provide for occupancy of an existing building
The following information is required as part of the Building Permit Application.
Building Plans or Drawings
Two sets of Plans/Drawings, one of which will be returned after examination.
- Foundation Plan
- Floor Plan
- Elevation Drawings
- Cross Sections of Details
- Pre-Engineered Components
- Mechanical (Plumbing) (Heat and Ventilation)
The Site Plan will show the location and dimensions of all existing and proposed buildings on your lot and the distances from buildings to lot lines. Drawing to be to standard scale, imperial or metric.
A copy of the up-to-date property survey prepared by licensed surveyor.
Lot Grade Control Plan
The plan will show grade elevations when work is completed and will indicate surface water flow direction.
Septic System Design
The Septic System is to be designed and installed by a person(s) which is qualified as stated in Section 2 and meet all requirements stated in Section 8 of the Ontario Building Code.
(a) a structure occupying an area greater than 100 square feet consisting of a wall, roof and floor or any of them or a structural system serving the function therof including all plumbing, works, fixtures and service systems appurtenant thereto,
(b) a structure occupying an area of ten square metres or less that contains plumbing, including the plumbing appurtenant thereto,
(c) plumbing not located in a structure,
(d) structures designate in the building code.
"Construct" - to do anything in the erection, installation, extension or material alteration or repair of a building and includes the installation of a building unit fabricated or moved from elsewhere and "construction" has a corresponding meaning.
"Demolish" - to do anything in the removal of a building or any material part therof and "demolition" has a corresponding meaning.
"Plumbing" - a drainage system, a venting system and a water system or parts therof.