Economic Development - Home Based Businesses in Deep River

Starting or Registering a New Business

Do I need to register my business and charge taxes?

You must register your business with the province if you:

  • Make more than $30,000 per year at the business (as you must also charge and remit HST);
  • Hire an employee; and/or
  • Import or export items into or from Canada

Do I need a permit or license to run my business?

On the municipal level, you are only required to register with the Town if you have a taxi or mobile food vendor business (such as a chip truck, etc.) Other types of businesses are not required to register, but you are invited to join our Business Directory!

On the provincial level, not all business types require permits or licenses, however some do. The best way to determine whether you need a permit or license is to use Canada Business Network’s search tool. The tool will produce a list of any federal and provincial requirements given your business location and industry.

Canada One Business Knowledge Engine

Over 900 articles geared towards small and medium-sized Canadian businesses on topics such as marketing, accounting, starting or selling a business, personal management, networking, market research and much more.

Enterprise Renfrew County

Enterprise Renfrew County (ERC) aims to encourage the enterprising spirit and economic development of the County by assisting entrepreneurs with the development of new or existing companies.

Be sure to check out their calendar, notices and bulletin board for upcoming events.

Canada Business Network

Can help you locate traditional or alternative sources of financing for your small business. You will find an extensive directory of Canadian financial providers, information on different types of financing, and tips to help you secure financing